A little over an hour ago, we were preparing dinner by lamplight, as we have every night since the hurricane that was Sandy blew through here ten days ago, when suddenly, the lights came back on. I've been so accustomed to darkness that it took a minute to realize that we actually had light. May … Continue reading Almost Normal
Just what the doctor ordered: an extra hour of darkness in an already dark situation. Daylight Savings Tease I just heard a rumor that we MIGHT get power back tonight. With a transformer still laying in the street, however, I am not holding my breath. We shall see.
Well, Sandy blew through here (not literally but she may as well have) yesterday and last night. We made it through relatively unscathed. No power, but the house is still standing, thank God. Both our families are okay. A few trees went down on the property, and trees and power lines are down all over … Continue reading Aftermath
I’ll be very glad when this is all over. Fully expecting to lose power at some point over the next few days. But if that’s all that happens, I’ll be lucky indeed.
This comes from The National Weather Service:
SOME IMPORTANT NOTES…
1. IF YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO EVACUATE A COASTAL LOCATION BY STATE AND LOCAL OFFICIALS, PLEASE DO SO.
2. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT TO EVACUATE, AND YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO RODE OUT THE ’62 STORM ON THE BARRIER ISLANDS, ASK THEM IF THEY COULD DO IT AGAIN.
3. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT, THINK ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONES, THINK ABOUT THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS WHO WILL BE UNABLE TO REACH YOU WHEN YOU MAKE THE PANICKED PHONE CALL TO BE RESCUED, THINK ABOUT THE RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.
4. SANDY IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM. THERE WILL BE MAJOR PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURIES ARE PROBABLY UNAVOIDABLE, BUT THE GOAL IS ZERO FATALITIES.
5. IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR ON THE SIDE…
View original post 13 more words
Spending the day getting prepared for the monster storm that is heading our way. From what I've read, it's going to be quite a mess. Is one ever really ready for things like this? Our answer is to prepare for the worst while hoping for the best. Other than that, all we can do is … Continue reading Storm Surge